César Salcedo Parrales, pseudonym Galo Salcedo (Machala, Ecuador, August 22, 1938 – August 16, 2011) was an Ecuadorian writer, painter, educator, journalist and historian. He authored approximately 13 books and several articles for various publications. He primarily wrote historical works about Machala and the province of El Oro. He was a member of the Association of Latin American and Caribbean Historians, the Association of Historians of Ecuador, and the House of Ecuadorian Culture’s history section in El Oro. The provincial historical archive bears his name.
Awards and recognitions
Among the honors he received for his work with various institutions in the province of El Oro and Ecuador are the following:
- Ecuadorian Red Cross bestowed honorary recognition on him for his artistic collaboration.
- Honorable Mention for his artistic contribution to the Technical University of Machala’s teacher education and training course.
- The XI World Banana Fair in Machala awarded him an honorable mention for his participation.
- The I. Municipal Council of Piñas awarded him an honorable mention for his plastic arts participation.
- The Ministry of Education bestowed honorary recognition on him for his contributions to drawing programs.
- Honorary recognition as a Member of El Oro’s chapter of the House of Ecuadorian Culture in Quito.
- The René Academy awarded him an Honorable Mention for his work as Professor-Founder of the Institution.
- Honorable Mention from the El Oro Provincial Directorate of Education for publishing historical works about the province.
- Honorable Mention from El Oro’s chapter of the National Union of Educators for published historical works.
- The National Archives Council bestowed honorary recognition on him for his participation in the Paleography Workshop Seminar in Quito.
- Medal and Mention for Historical-Journalistic Merit, awarded by the circle of journalists’ El Oro chapter to his book Battle of the Carreta, published to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Liberal Revolution.
- The House of Ecuadorian Culture, Cañar chapter, honored him with honorary recognition for his participation in the I. National Anthropology Meeting held in Azogues.
- The House of Ecuadorian Culture, El Oro chapter, recognized him with an Honorable Mention for his historical publications.
César Salcedo Parrales died of a cardiovascular complication on August 16, 2011, just minutes before giving a lecture at the Municipality of Huaquillas.
- El Ecuador a fines del Siglo XIX, compendio gráfico de las ciudades del Ecuador
- Machala, 455 años de Historia Nº 1
- Machala, 455 años de Historia Nº 2
- Machala, Pasado y presente, álbum de 10 plumillas
- Batalla de la Carreta, edición conmemorativa a los 100 años de la revolución liberal de Machala.
- Puerto Bolivar
- Biografías Orenses, año 1996
- General Manuel Serrano Renda
- El Oro rumbo hacia el Nuevo Milenio
Author’s name varitions
- Galo Salcedo
- César Galo Dionisio Salcedo Parrales
- César Galo D. Salcedo P
- Galo César D. Salcedo Parrales