Remigio Crespo Toral was an Ecuadorian poet and writer. He was born in Cuenca on August 4, 1860 and died In the same city on July 8, 1939. In 1905, President Leónidas Plaza Gutiérrez appointed him lawyer of the Republic, to defend Ecuador in its diplomatic conflict with Peru. In 1909, in the centennial of the first cry of independence, Crespo Toral published a book titled Cien años de emancipación. In 1917, he was crowned national poet, by decree of the President Alfredo Baquerizo Moreno, in the Central Park of Cuenca. This was a very important ceremony, which was attended by the entire city, including senior officials like President Baquerizo Moreno, the Ambassadors of the United States, Belgium, Chile, Peru, among others. In 1925, he was appointed Rector of the University of Cuenca, holding this post until his death.
In 1886 Crespo married Elvira Vega García (1868–1965), with whom he had ten children.
- Bolívar, el héroe y el genio de América (1924), read it for free here.
- La campaña de los muertos (1884), read it for free here.
- El centenario de D. Pedro Fermín Cevallos en Cuenca (1912), read it for free here.
- El divorcio de Colombia: Aspectos de última hora (1933), read it for free here.
- La educación para la economía : Conferencia de extensión Universitaria dada en la Asociación de Empleados de Cuenca el 9 de Marzo de 1932 (1932), read it for free here.
- Últimos pensamientos de Bolívar (1889), read it for free here.
- Canto a Sucre (1897)
- Mi Poema (1898), read it for free here.
- Nuestro Novelistas (1914), read it for free here.
- Cien años de emancipación (1909)
- América y España (1909), read it for free here.
- La Leyenda de Hernán (1917), read it for free here.
- Plegarias: Poesías religiosas (1934), read it from here.
- Selección de ensayos (1936), read it for free here.