Juan Valdano Morejón (Cuenca, December 26, 1939 – Quito, August 2, 2021) was an award-winning writer of over 30 books encompassing a variety of genres, such as novels, short stories and nonfiction. He was a corresponding member of the Royal Spanish Academy and an honorary member of the Ecuadorian Academy of Language. He was awarded Ecuador’s top literary award Premio Eugenio Espejo in 2020. He also won the Joaquín Gallegos Lara Prize three times. Director Camilo Luzuriaga adapted his 1990 historical novel Mientras llega el día into a film in 2004.
Valdano received the Joaquín Gallegos Lara Prize three times: for his novel “Anillos de Serpiente” (1998), as well as his short story collections “La Celada” (2002) and “Juegos de Proteo” (2009). In 2020, he received the Premio Eugenio Espejo, the country’s highest literary honor.
2002 Interview with Juan Valdano about his writing (Spanish audio)
2020 Interview with Juan Valdano about his writing and being awarded the Premio Eugenio Espejo (Spanish audio)
Adaption of book into film
Valdano’s historical novel Mientras llega el día (1990) was made into a film in 2004. The film tells the story of “the first cry of independence of August 2, 1810.” It is titled “1809-1810 mientras llega el dia” and was directed by Camilo Luzuriaga.
1809-1810 mientras llega el dia (Official Trailer)
List of Works
- Mientras llega el día (1990) – made into a film in 2004, translated into Italian under the title In attesa del giorno in 2016.
- Anillos de serpiente (1998)
- El fuego y la sombra (2001)
- La memoria y los adioses (2006)
- Las huellas recogidas (1980)
- La celada (2002)
- Juegos de Proteo (2009)
- Después de la batalla (2019)
- El tigre y otros relatos (2018)
- Humanismo de Albert Camus (1973)
- Identidad y formas de lo ecuatoriano (2006)
- Los espejos y la noche (2010)
- La selva y los caminos, 38 reflexiones sobre la realidad ecuatoriana (2011)
- La brújula y los caminos (2016)
- La nación presentida. 30 ensayos sobre Ecuador (2019)
- Crónicas de una época de indignación y de esperanza (2016 – 2019 (2020)
- Pensamiento latinoamericano: de la duda a la creencia (2020)