Juan Valdano Morejón is a writer of over 30 books encompassing a variety of genres, such as novels, short stories and nonfiction. Valdano was born in Cuenca, Ecuador on December 26, 1939. He is an honorary member of the Ecuadorian Academy of Language and a corresponding member of the The Royal Spanish Academy.
Valdano was awarded the Joaquín Gallegos Lara National Fiction Prize on three occassions: for his novel Anillos de serpiente (1998), and short story books La celada (2002) and Juegos de Proteo (2009). He was awarded the nation’s top literary award Premio Eugenio Espejo in 2020.
2002 Interview with Juan Valdano about his writing (Spanish audio)
2020 Interview with Juan Valdano about his writing and being awarded the Premio Eugenio Espejo (Spanish audio)
Adaption of book into film
Valdano’s historical novel Mientras llega el día (1990) was made into a film in 2004. The film tells the story of “the first cry of independence of August 2, 1810.” It is titled “1809-1810 mientras llega el dia” and was directed by Camilo Luzuriaga.
1809-1810 mientras llega el dia (Official Trailer)
List of Works
- Mientras llega el día (1990) – made into a film in 2004, translated into Italian under the title In attesa del giorno in 2016.
- Anillos de serpiente (1998)
- El fuego y la sombra (2001)
- La memoria y los adioses (2006)
- Las huellas recogidas (1980)
- La celada (2002)
- Juegos de Proteo (2009)
- Después de la batalla (2019)
- El tigre y otros relatos (2018)
- Humanismo de Albert Camus (1973)
- Identidad y formas de lo ecuatoriano (2006)
- Los espejos y la noche (2010)
- La selva y los caminos, 38 reflexiones sobre la realidad ecuatoriana (2011)
- La brújula y los caminos (2016)
- La nación presentida. 30 ensayos sobre Ecuador (2019)
- Crónicas de una época de indignación y de esperanza (2016 – 2019 (2020)
- Pensamiento latinoamericano: de la duda a la creencia (2020)