Francisco Delgado Santos (Cuenca, June 9, 1950) is an Ecuadorian writer, poet, and editor. Delgado Santos has made a significant contribution to Ecuadorian literature for children and young people with his extensive collection of over 50 published titles. With a deep passion for reading and writing, Delgado Santos believes in the transformative power of books, especially in shaping the imaginations and intellectual development of young readers. His works span across various genres and have garnered recognition and prestigious awards. Beyond his literary achievements, Delgado Santos has played a pivotal role in establishing the National Library System of Ecuador, expanding access to books and fostering a culture of reading throughout the country.
Francisco Delgado Santos, an Ecuadorian writer, poet, and editor, has made significant contributions to the promotion of literature for children and young people in his country. Born on June 9, 1950, in Cuenca, Delgado Santos has dedicated his life to the art of writing and has been actively involved in fostering a love for reading among children. His passion for literature and belief in the power of books to inspire dreams and enhance lives have shaped his career.
Early Life and Literary Pursuits
From an early age, Delgado Santos found solace and purpose in reading and writing. He particularly enjoys crafting poems and stories for young readers, recognizing the transformative potential of books. His works reflect his commitment to nurturing the imagination and intellectual development of children. Delgado Santos firmly believes that books have the capacity to transport us to different worlds, ignite our creativity, and broaden our perspectives.
Accomplishments and Recognition
Delgado Santos has received numerous accolades and recognition for his literary contributions. Many of his works have been awarded prestigious prizes and have been translated into multiple languages, expanding their reach to a global audience. His dedication to literature and education led him to serve as the Vice Minister of Culture at the Ministry of Education and Culture in Ecuador. Additionally, he worked as a consultant for the World Bank’s Reading Strengthening Program, where he shared his expertise and insights into fostering literacy.
Creation of the National Library System and Editorial Work
One of Delgado Santos’s notable achievements is the creation of the National Library System of Ecuador, which has played a vital role in expanding access to books and promoting a reading culture throughout the country. This initiative has been instrumental in connecting readers, especially children and young people, to a vast array of literary resources. Currently, Delgado Santos serves as the director of Editorial El Tucán, where he continues to shape and influence the publishing landscape in Ecuador.
Contributions to Education and Critical Thinking
Delgado Santos’s contributions extend beyond his own writings and administrative endeavors. He has developed theoretical frameworks and practical applications to guide teachers and students in the development of logical and analogical thinking through the use of poetry. His work emphasizes the importance of integrating literature and creative expression into educational practices, fostering critical thinking and imagination in young minds.
Notable Works and Impact
With over 50 published titles, Delgado Santos has enriched Ecuadorian literature for children and young people. His diverse body of work includes essays, short stories, poetry, novels, plays, and anthologies. Among his notable works are “Tener una familia” (“Having a Family”), “Pequeña, pequeñita y el cazador cazado” (“Little, Little and the Hunted Hunter”), and “La pelea” (“The Fight”). His passion for literature and dedication to the promotion of reading have earned him recognition and respect both within Ecuador and internationally.
- El libro en el Ecuador: situación y perspectivas (1987)
- Aproximación a la lectura (1998)
- El preguntón: libro de humor para niños (y para algunos adultos a los que les gusta reír) (2005)
- El niño que amaba las estrellas y otros cuentos (2010)
- Pequeña-pequeñita y el cazador cazado (2006)
- Cuando atacan los monstruos (1996)
- Arrullos: literatura infantil ecuatoriana de tradición oral (1996)
- Animemos la lectura (1998)
- El día que me quieras los más bellos poemas de amor (2008)
- Quepeseperapa: acertijos y adivinanzas para lectores inteligentes (2009)
- My Friend, Grandfather (2005)
- ¡Qué risa! (2017)
- Las aventuras de pequeña pequeñita (1984)
- Mirada dentro, palabra fuera: variaciones en torno a la lectura (2006)
- La dicha breve (2022)
- Promoción de la lectura y formulación de proyectos (2006)
- Rondas: literatura infantil ecuatoriana de tradición oral (1996)
- Inolvidables: poesía universal para niños (2009)
- Palenque (2015) co-author
- Los sueños de Natalia (2005)
- Taca-Taca-Tan (2003)
- Cuentos para niños (1987)
- Ecuador y su literatura infantil (estudio y bibliografía) (1984)
- Mundo de la literatura infantil (1981)
- Y… ¿qué nombre le pondremos, Matantirun Tirulán? (2022)
- Temas de asociación de clase: guía para el profesor y el alumno de los ciclos básico y diversificado de los colegios de la república (1974)
- Taca taca tan (1987)
- Cuentos para niños (1986)
- Taca Taca Tan (1994)
- Contribución al estudio de la Literatura Infantil latinoamericana (1990)
- Ecuador y su literatura infantil (estudio y bibliografía) (1987)
- Cuentos (1982)
- Memorias de un adolescente: relatos (1981)
- Fábulas (1982) co-author
- Temas de asociación de clase: Guía para el profesor y el estudiante de los ciclos básico y diversificado de los colegios de la república (1974)
Anthologies that contain his fiction
- Nuevos cuentos de juegos antiguos (2017)
He also wrote the prologue or introductory study for the following works
- Historias espectrales (2006)
- Orgullo y prejuicio (1999)
Anthologies he compiled and edited
- Letras cómplices: antología temática para jóvenes (2017)