Luis Enrique Fierro (Tulcán, Carchi Province, November 14, 1936) is an Ecuadorian physician, writer and poet. He was the Provincial Director of Health between 1965 and 1972. Then he went on to direct the pediatrics department of the Luis Gabriel Dávila Hospital. He served 3 terms as the president of the Carchi branch of the Ecuadorian House of Culture (1983-1987, 1992-1997, 2001-2005). In 2005 Ecuador’s president awarded Fierro with the Eugenio Espejo Award in Culture.
Luis Enrque Fierro married Marcia Cecilia Isabel Urresta Burbano, they had 7 children: Doris Cecilia, Luis Fernando, Alexandra Nataly, Santiago Enrique, María Soledad and Verónica Elizabeth.
He earned his medical degree from the Faculty of Medicine at the Central University of Ecuador in 1964. His graduate thesis was titled “Mental illnesses determined by negative environmental factors.” Then in Argentina he completed a specialty in Pediatrics, afterwards returning to his native city of Tulcán to provide care for the poor children of his country.
Awards and acknowledgements
- University Poetry Festival Award III Prize, Dr. Francisco Salgado Award, event organized by the School of Journalism Association. Central University of Ecuador, 1963.
- Cultural Merit Prize awarded by the College of Physicians of Carchi, 1978.
- Cultural Meri Prize awarded by the House of Ecuadorian Culture, 1994.
- Cultural Merit Award, Mira-Carchi January 11, 1996
- Cultural Merit Award, Medical College of Carchi.
- Cultural Merit Award, “Bolívar”Superior Institute in 2000.
- Decoration of Cultural Merit awarded by the Ministry of Education and Culture, 2002.
- Cultural Merit Prize awarded by the House of Ecuadorian Culture in 1994 and 2002.
- Vicente Rocafuerte Award presided over the Honorable National Congress in 2003.
- Cacique García Tulcanaza Award granted by the Provincial Government of Carchi, 2004.
- Nomination for the National Eugenio Espejo Award for Cultural Activities by the Plenary Board of the House of Ecuadorian Culture “Benjamín Carrión”, meeting in Tulcán in 2005.
- National Award “Eugenio Espejo” 2006 for Cultural Activities.
- “Sol Pasto” Award from the Illustrious Municipality of Tulcán, on February 10, 2006.
- “Cultural Merit” Award, Government of Carchi, in February 2006.
- Carlos Emilio Grijalva Award, Municipality of Cantón Espejo, September 27, 2006.
- Obando Municipal Award in the Degree of Grand Knight, granted by the Mayor’s Office of the Municipality of Ipiales, June 2006.
Luis Enrique Fierro reads his poetry
- Al sur de los recuerdos: El Che en la literatura y el arte (1999)
- Recuerdos de verano (2003)
- Huellas de Eterno Caminante (2019)
- Antología Poética (2007)
- La barbarie, un vagón y un violín en las pupilas (2012)
- Metástasis (1983)
- De muelles y caminos: poesía (1996)
- Arrecife: poesía (1987)
- Hacia una nueva antología poética : visión de la poesía carchense a través de la metáfora (2004)
- Gonzalo Pozo Álvarez y Florentino Bustos Estupiñán
- El caminante de la luz (2007)
- Si preguntan por mí (2013)