José de la Cuadra Vargas (September 3, 1903 – February 27, 1941) is considered one of Ecuador’s greatest authors. De la Cuadra was a social realist novelist who wrote the short story La Tigra (1932) and the novel Los Sangurimas (1939). He was a part of the “Guayaquil Group,” a group of young social protest novelists from Guayaquil, Ecuador, in the 1930s, which included Enrique Gil Gilbert, Demetrio Aguilera Malta, Joaqun Gallegos Lara, and Alfredo Pareja Diezcanseco.
Along with prose writers Enrique Gil Gilbert, Demetrio Aguilera Malta, Joaquín Gallegos Lara and Alfredo Pareja Diezcanseco, José de la Cuadra was a member of the “Guayaquil Group,” a circle of young social protest novelists from Ecuador’s coastal city of Guayaquil in the 1930s.
The Guayaquil Group “took the side of the exploited—the Indians, montuvios, blacks, mulattoes, Cholos, peasants, and workers—and attacked the exploiters—the elite, the overseers, the priests, and the local police.”(from Encyclopedia.com)
Other contemporaries include the poets Medardo Ángel Silva and José María Egas, with whom he contributed to many of the same magazines of the time.
On February 27, 1941, at the age of 37, José de la Cuadra died of a massive brain hemorrhage.
Works made into films:
La Tigra – Trailer (1990)
José de la Cuadra’s short story La Tigra was made into a film of the same name in 1990. It was directed by Camilo Luzuriaga.
Los Sangurimas – Full movie (1998)
José de la Cuadra’s novel Los Sangurimas was made into a film of the same name in 1998. It was directed by Carl West.
List of works
- Olga Catalina (Id. Id., 1925)
- El sabor de la locura (Id. Id., 1925)
- Perlita Lila (Id. Id., 1925)
- Oro de sol (Guayaquil: El Telégrafo, 1925)
- Horno (Guayaquil: Talleres de la Sociedad Filantrópica, 1932), read it for free here.
- Sueño de una noche de Navidad (Guayaquil: Artes Gráficas Senefelder, 1930)
- Repisas (Guayaquil: Artes Gráficas Senefelder, 1931), read it for free here.
- El amor que dormía (1930), read it for free here.
- Madrecita falsa (1923)
- La vuelta de la locura (Madrid: Revista Literaria Novelas y Cuentos, 1932)
- Guásinton: relatos y crónicas (Quito: Talleres Gráficos de Educación, 1938)
- Los Sangurimas (Madrid: Cenit, 1934)
- 12 siluetas (Quito: Ed. América, 1934)
- El montuvio ecuatoriano (Buenos Aires: Imán, 1937)
- Obras Completas de José de la Cuadra (Quito: Casa de la Cultura, 1958)
- Los monos enloquecidos (Quito: Casa de la Cultura Ecuatoriana, 1951)